A structure for Project 2?

Cost-effective public health/hygiene education for non-English speaking villagers.

A structure for Project 2?

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Project 2 investigators,

I'd like to suggest a structure to start with. Will appreciate your inputs!

(1) Identify all the existing approaches for public health (PH hereafter) education.
e.g. pamphlet, heath educator/promoter, broadcast/tape, goodies, etc.

(2) Identify the most urgent and common public heath education needs in the villages.

(3) Identify the existing or potentially available (missed opportunities) resources in the villages

(4) Compare the PH edu. options' effectiveness for addressing the needs, and costs. Also consider how each option could take advantage of the existing or potentially available resources.

(5) Select the optimal portfolio of approaches.

(6) Check feasibility with client contacts.

(7) Further tailor the solution and make step by step action plan for implementation.

Hope to hear from you!
H. Timothy Hsiao

Re: A structure for Project 2?

Postby NYardley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:45 am

Thanks for helping us get the ball rolling. I have been thinking more and more about this project as I hear about the cholera epidemic in Haiti. They are using songs and such to get the word out, which I think is a nice way to educate a broad range of people. Will post some more ideas and findings soon.
NYardley

Postby Shaosi Li » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Timothy, sounds like a great structure to begin with. Shall we start off with (2) "Identify the most urgent and common public heath education needs in the villages" since all the other steps are dependent on the problems we identified? Some ideas on this issue are as follows:

1) Interview sugarcane workers and their families to get to know their own concerns about their health and their complaints on the standard of living.

2) Contact hospitals and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to gather information about the most prevalent diseases in the village, and conduct literature research on the common risk factors that contribute to these diseases.

3) Literature research on the specific public health concerns for sugarcane workers, if any (e.g. occupational diseases).

How do we contact residents, hospitals, and CDCs in this village, Timothy?
Shaosi Li

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 pm

hi Nate, making a song sounds like a great idea to pass message out! Looking forward to hearing more about it from your research later!

HI Shaosi, Those are great directions.

First of all we are dealing with many villages that are in similar situations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batey_%28s ... 27_town%29

(1) Sugarcane workers may be hard to reach 'cause they live remotely and very likely don't speak English. However I could try to invite a young friend who grew up in one of the villages and communicate fluently in English to join our forum. He can probably answer many of our questions.

(2) We might need to do an online search to find out any CDC-like institution in DR.

(3) For hospital we have contact with the Hospital El Buen Samaritano, which has deep commitment and experiences with the sugar cane workers' villages.
We could contact Odalis:
Lic. Odalis Ruiz
Enc. De Programa Social
Hospital El Buen Samaritano
I don't want to disclose her contact details to the public, so I'll send out an email with her updated contact to you all.

Thanks!! I am so glad that we're moving forward!! : )
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby Steph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I found a really helpful website dedicated to providing information about water and sanitation issues in developing countries. It's call WELL and the address is: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/index.htm. I think we can use this to come up with a model for improving hygiene practices.

One suggestion from this site is to use a strategy similar to marketing companies. We should start by trying to understand the "consumer" behavior with the following questions (some are similar to what Shaosi already posted):

1. What are the risk practices?
2. Who carries out the risk practices?
3. What drivers, habits and/or environment can change behavior?
4. How do people communicate?

Since we have some ideas about what questions to ask and what resources we can use, maybe we should try to split up the work so that we're not all doing the same thing. Maybe we can designate a question/issue for each person to address. I think we should also try to only have one of us contacting the hospital directly, so that there is no confusion or repetition in our communications with them. Tell me what you think.

Stephanie
Steph

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Dear Project 2 Team,

Thanks for all your input so far! Exactly as Stephanie suggested, splitting work might be essential at this moment.
Would you all pick a piece of the project to dig in, and then come back, say, in a week with one- or two-page summaries of your findings, and together to synthesize them to indicate the direction for the next step?

For example, it seems Stephanie has found some good resources for promoting PH like promoting a company, maybe Stephanie could mainly study and summarize for (1)?:
(1) Identify all the existing approaches for public health (PH hereafter) education.
e.g. pamphlet, heath educator/promoter, broadcast/tape, goodies, etc.

Shaosi seems to be searching for the critical PH needs in the villages, maybe Shaosi could mainly study (2)?
(2) Identify the most urgent and common public heath education needs in the villages.
Also for Shaosi, Project 3 team is now touching upon the health hazard in the villages for drinking unclean water, maybe that would be helpful in this regard somehow.

And, maybe, if this interested Nathan, maybe Nathan could mainly study (3)?
(3) Identify the existing or potentially available (missed opportunities) resources in the villages

This is just suggestions. Please simply see it as a starting point, and maybe discuss for your team's own task allocation pattern as you see fit.

In summary, we might need 2 component: 1. Task allocation; 2. Specify the deliverable (e.g. one page summary of findings); 3. Deadline to reconvene for the next phase of the project.

For your consideration!
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby NYardley » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Steph and Shaosi,

I am comfortable with how Tim suggests we split up the first three topics. Are you guys good with that? Post a reply with your thoughts so we can be sure we are all on the same page.

Should we set a deadline of Nov 10th (Wednesday) to post our findings?

We need a way to best organize and coordinate dissemination of our data. Steph and I were discussing some options and think we should utilize the wiki. We could make pages for each of our topics and post or "one page" summaries there to start with. The wiki is the best place to keep all the data easily accessible, plus other projects might be able to use our findings too. We can use the forum to delegate tasks and decide on deadlines.

Nate
NYardley

Postby Steph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm okay with my topic and Nov 10 as a deadline.

Stephanie
Steph

Postby NYardley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi All,

I've uploaded some of my resarch about Exisiting Public Health Resources on the wiki. Let me know what you think.
http://www.mindsforneeds.org/wiki/index ... _Resources

I still need to do some more detailed research. It's a bit hard to find information about what resources are specifically available in the bateyes.
I have found some cool aid organizations that are already investing in public health efforts. I will keep doing research and hopefully post some more in the next week.

We should figure out what our next step is.

Thanks,
Nate
NYardley

Postby Steph » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 am

I've also added an article on existing PH education (http://www.mindsforneeds.org/wiki/index.php?title=Existing_Public_Health_Education_Programs). I found a lot of good ideas for ways to educate the community on safe hygiene practices. Not sure what the next step is, I think we should review what everyone has found first and go from there.

Stephanie
Steph

Next

Return to Project_2