Synthesize findings

Cost-effective public health/hygiene education for non-English speaking villagers.

Synthesize findings

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi all,
Great progress we have made! Shall we move on to bullet point our findings to facilitate the synthesis of an initial milestone summary?
As I was reading your findings, I found that:

We aim to help AND alert AND motivate the villagers to keep themselves healthy through education (from the concepts presented in Stephanie and Nathan's summaries. Please edit as any of you sees appropriate.).

Shaosi clearly identified the 3 broad categories of the most Urgent and Common Public Health (PH) Education Needs:
1) Hygiene education.
2) HIV/AIDS Prevention.
3) Malnutrition Prevention.
but detailed goals for establishing healthy practices in the villages are to be supplemented.

Stephanie's detailed summary includes a highly relevant and useful mixture of information on:
detailed needs to address (e.g. washing hands, use of latrines...) + existing practical approaches for PH education (e.g. use before- and after- photos of (in)hygienic practices, start with women and children, use incentives other than just health improvement...)

Nathan touched upon:
examples of existing practical approaches for PH education (e.g. condom distribution, soap opera...) + future opportunities (allied with other organizations, solicit state-fund...)

I have a suggestion for synthesizing the team's findings - wondering if you would agree -
<Put all in bullet point format>
(a) if Shaosi could: take the relevant contents from Stephanie's summary to Shaosi's categories - so we have a detailed and hands-on lists for health improvement goals we aim to achieve.
(b) if Stephanie could concentrate on "existing PH education approaches" and incorporate relevant findings from Nathan's summary - so we could have a list of tools for achieving the goals under current scenario in DR.
(c) if Nathan could concentrate on "future opportunities", and address in more details on aspects such as:
the potential synergies between our client (Hospital Buen Samaritano, located in La Romana) and other charity organizations,
or potential ways/incentives to get extra fund (like DR state-fund) on board for the health of the villagers.
Then it helps point out new directions.

What do you think??
H. Timothy Hsiao

Re: Synthesize findings

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 pm

by the way, the "Ministry of Health" and "curriculum" ideas (found in Nathan's Wiki entry) sound pretty cool!
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby NYardley » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 am

Sorry for the long absence.

- I would like to know if our client has worked with any aid organizations on previous occasions. What is the best way of finding that out?
- I will also look into what types of collaborations other aid agencies have tried.
- As far as getting more state funds, I'm assuming that our client would be the main applicant and would be in charge of distributing services.
- I will look into what types of funds are available from the state (or aid organizations).

It is my understanding that we are looking for solutions that will apply to all DR Bateyes, but also recognize that Hospital Buen Samaritano's reach may be limited.
What is a reasonable number of communities/people we would be able to provide services for?

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Nate
NYardley

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:24 pm

- I would like to know if our client has worked with any aid organizations on previous occasions. What is the best way of finding that out?

Hi Nathan, My impression is that they have not. We could ask Odalis to confirm this.
I’ll send an email to her with you on cc.

- I will also look into what types of collaborations other aid agencies have tried.

That would be really great. Thanks!

- As far as getting more state funds, I'm assuming that our client would be the main applicant and would be in charge of distributing services.
- I will look into what types of funds are available from the state (or aid organizations).

Our new registrant nlicciardello on our Project Forum, just came back from DR after staying there for more than ~ a year. The impression is that DR government and its European-descent citizens weren’t quite willing to see the Haitin immigrants in the bateys as their citizens. – therefore the state fund source might be not be readily available, as I understand.

>It is my understanding that we are looking for solutions that will apply to all DR Bateyes, but also recognize that Hospital Buen Samaritano's reach may be limited. What is a reasonable number of communities/people we would be able to provide services for?

As I know, the hospital is well connected with a large number of bateys (especially the bigger ones) surrounding the city of La Romana, DR. For a better number, though, I would include this question in my email to Odalis.

Thanks for your kind heart and dedication!
Tim
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby NYardley » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I have been looking into aid organizations that might be able to assist us in implementing our program.

It seems that the hospital already works with a number of faith-based organizations located in the US to provide volunteers that help to provide medical care to the communities.
One issue with the current system is that the different volunteer organizations do not have a centralized hub to coordinate efforts such as what medical supplies are needed, etc. This rotation of volunteers would also make implementing the educational programs we have discussed more difficult. Some efforts at coordination have been undertaken by others (see links below).

I think the hospital and the bateyes would benefit from having some sort of "Batey Healthcare Department" that is solely in charge of coordinating volunteer efforts by aid organizations. This department would be in charge of implementing the educational program that we are helping to devise. Having a centralized department in the hospital would allow better control over how and where information (and supplies) are disseminated. The department would be the link between aid/volunteers and the batey "Ministries of Health". This Department could also be in charge of obtaining funding from the various aid agencies (e.g. USAID, Global Fund); this might help lead to better management of finances meant for batey assistance.

Examples of efforts undertaken to coordinate services:
    -- LaRomana.org (http://www.laromana.org/index.html): This is a site run by a doctor who has been working with the hospital for over a decade. The site lists dates of scheduled "Tours" for the upcoming year. The site also provides a way to donate to the many different projects LaRomana.org is interested in. Paypal Donations go "directly to good Sam [the hospital]". The site is a good effort at trying to coordinate groups as far as scheduling, but there is no cohesive educational/medical program detailed.

-- Nyantara Watsa (ePublic Health Blog, http://epublichealthnayantarawatsa.blogspot.com/2010/11/difficulties-using-ict-for-coordination.html): Nyantara is a Public Health/MBA student at John Hopkins University. In Fall 2010 she worked with a team trying to help the hospital implement "ICT [information and communications technology] to provide channels of communication between various mission groups and hospital staff, in order to improve the efficiency with which resources in time, energy, skills and money were distributed, and care was delivered in this setting". She describes how difficult the process was. I am going to contact her to see if I can get more information about the process and difficulties she encountered.

Examples of major funding sources: **Note: I am not very familiar with the process of obtaining funds for major projects, so my input here is limited, but I hope that it can be useful as a starting point.**
NYardley

Postby Steph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I think Nate's idea of a "Batey Healthcare Department" is great. Since there are lots of programs that are already going to the area and providing education services, it seems the most cost effective option for the hospital may be to have a department for coordinating the efforts. We should think about refocusing on finding out if the hospital is willing to start a department like this. Once we have established that it is feasible to start this department (and how many people would be in it), we can decide what information should be shared and how this department will actually coordinate with the many organizations coming to the area.

Has anyone in our group contacted someone from the hospital yet? If so, I think it would be best if the same person contacted again (to keep things consistent). We can maybe come up with a list of specific questions beforehand and then one of us can send an e-mail.

Also, I am participating in the Yale Alumni Association’s Service trip to the DR in March (we’re going to Las Charcas, near San Juan). We will be providing a lot of the same services that we’re discussing in this forum, and many of the people in the trip have done things like this before. I can use this opportunity to ask lots of questions and see how things run on the ground. If you guys think of anything in particular you’d like me to ask, let me know.
Steph

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Steph,

How was your trip with the Yale Alumni Association?? Would you share what you've seen in Las Charcas? Any new contact we could seek help from? What have you learned about international development/global health from your field experience on this trip?

Nate's idea of a "Batey Healthcare Department" is great. In my impression, it seems the hospital's "Community Program" (led by Odalis) is like such a healthcare department, since the program organizes clinics as well as public health education. However, the program is very small (probably less than 3 people, so I guess what they could do is pretty limited at this moment. To realize the "Batey Healthcare Department", do you think we should just find ways to empower the existing "Community Program" or set up a different group, either being within the hospital, or making it into a separate non-profit to coordinate all the groups that are working on the ground to help the bateys? Would any of you want to discuss with Odalis? Her English is very good.

Meanwhile, for some short-term actions on PH education, do you think distributing PH info to the bateys (can be through the local health educator) would be an effective idea? Like, taking PH brochures from the U.S. or other countries' health departments, and print & translate into Creole for the batey's residents?
H. Timothy Hsiao

Return to Project_2