Kevin's hypothesis for adoption of Biometric Recognition

Efficient and affordable medical record keeping/tracking system for village patients.

Kevin's hypothesis for adoption of Biometric Recognition

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Kevin, Matheus, and Matt,

Kevin has established a hypothesis for adopting biometric recognition, and summarized this category on:
http://www.mindsforneeds.org/wiki/index ... ecognition

(1) Do we agree that biometrics may be the hypothesis to pursue?
Tim: Yes!

(2) If yes, among the various biometrics, which would you choose for us to study further?
Tim vote for "physiological - iris recognition"

Would love to hear your opinions.
H. Timothy Hsiao

Re: Kevin's hypothesis for adoption of Biometric Recognition

Postby matheus.nm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:44 am

(1) Do we agree that biometrics may be the hypothesis to pursue?
Yes, definitely.

(2) If yes, among the various biometrics, which would you choose for us to study further?
I second Tim: physiological - iris recognition.
matheus.nm

Postby Elcie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Guys,

I just joined the project and have read all of your posts to date and just wanted to add some comments/questions.

Firstly, I think that biometrics is a great way to go for accurate patient identification but do we need to consider the cost issues of implementation? I had a quick look online and found iris scanners ranging from $1700 - >$4000 each, the higher the price the more features/accuracy. Even though it is possible that prices could be reduced by negotiating with the supplier, is this cost range feasible for the project?

Secondly, I was wondering if we should consider a 'secondary' form of ID for the patients in addition to the biometrics? As it is probably a good idea to have more than one system in place to identify patients. Photo ID cards would have been useful and inexpensive to serve this purpose but understandably patients may easily lose or damage their cards, so I was just thinking that maybe we could also consider offering some kind of 'useful item' on which to print the photo ID... something like a pen, or a mug for example. Given that many of these people may be illiterate, we wouldn't necessarily want to print too much data on the items anyway, so ideally just a photo, name and ID number of some sort.

Anyway, just some thoughts :) Would love to hear your opinions and thanks for letting me join in on this project and I look forward to working with you all.

Elcie
Elcie

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi Elcie,

Welcome on board & Thanks for the two great thoughts.

The hospital recently acquired both an ID printing system (for generating plastic ID cards) and a fingerprint recognition system (not portable), so it has some recognition technologies in place. Currently the two technologies are gradually being applied to its employees, and issuing IDs to its patients is being considered.

Issuing photo IDs printed on something useful to the bearer is indeed a great and interesting idea! Meanwhile, I imagine if we print the unique personal indentifier on a pen or mug, the overall cost of ID issuing may go up as the demand grows, considering the higher cost of pens/mugs over plastic cards and the possible need for the supplier to edit their template for every single printing on the pen or mug. Also the risk of loss/damage of the item printed with the identifier remains.

Iris scanners are indeed expensive, so we do need to carefully evaluate the cost to consider its feasibility. On the other hand, as I think into it, the hospital probably only needs one (or two) of them to be carried along on the remote clinics trips. In this way, iris recognition can be a "secondary" form of patient recognition to retrieve information of difficult cases (e.g. bateys patients who miss IDs, relocated, changed names, have unrecognizable fingerprint patterns. Also we probably just need very basic features. Would you mind sharing the cheapest option you found?
H. Timothy Hsiao

Return to Project_1