A structure to start with?

Efficient and affordable medical record keeping/tracking system for village patients.

A structure to start with?

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to suggest the following structure. Please consider sharing your opinions!

(1) Identify the requirements of the medical record keeping/tracking solution:
The solution needs to efficiently tracking the identity and medical history of patients while addressing the following challenges:
a) The frequent name changes for some village patients; b) frequent migration of patients from one village to another; c) some village patients lack proper Government ID. The solution also needs to be d) affordable.

(2) List currently available options for medical record keeping/tracking on the market:
e.g. Paper-based, ID card-based, Biometrics... etc.

(3) Compile a chart for each options' features:
e.g. A) Capability to address the client's challenges; B) Fitness for field use; C) Cost

(4) Screen through the options according to the criteria we set (e.g. A), B), C) ) and select the most probable ones.

(5) Tailor option(s) for on-site requirement by modification or recombination. Calculate cost for field use. Evaluate feasibility.

(6) Feasibility check with client.

(7) Modify solution, and compile an action plan: A step-by-step guideline for implementation.

(8) Present our solution to the adviser and client.

Thanks!
Tim
H. Timothy Hsiao

Re: A structure to start with?

Postby matheus.nm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 am

What if friends of mine were to donate a customized software solution?
matheus.nm

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:41 am

Hey Matheus!
Thanks for the good thoughts! The customized software solution would be great! One thing though, I was thinking we're probably not ready for the software part yet, since we might need a data collection device (like biometrics recognition etc.) first, and then we could know what would be desired in the software...
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby matheus.nm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:31 pm

So once we know what would be desired in the software programmers may be able to turn an existing prototype into a customized solution.
matheus.nm

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:27 pm

That would be really helpful. Thanks Matheus!!
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby kevin.li » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Brainstorming/ My Initial 2 cents:

After reviewing the goals of the project and the multitude of hurdles, the first thought that came into my mind is utilizing a fingerprint database to effective track the members of the community regardless of name and/or lack of identification. Fingerprints could be codified and linked to their indivdual medical records through PDA or Laptop computer with scanner/digital camera.

Certainly there may be some issues with lack of accessibility in the field and cost for this option but perhaps this may be where a customized software program may be of some use.

Thoughts?
kevin.li

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for your valuable inputs! Fingerprint sounds like a good direction. Meanwhile, I was thinking maybe we could raise up one level and consider "biometrics" (fingerprint is definitely a critical part of it)? For example, iris recognition and other options?
Would you be interested in building a list for all available options for biometrics recognition?
H. Timothy Hsiao

Postby kevin.li » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 am

Hi Timothy,

Sure thing. I'll put together a list of possible options for biometrics recognition and post it up.
kevin.li

Postby kevin.li » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Physiological

Examples include, but are not limited to fingerprint, face recognition, DNA, Palm print, hand geometry, iris recognition, which has largely replaced retina, and odour/scent.

Behavioural

Examples include, but are not limited to typing rhythm, gait, and voice. Some researchers[1] have coined the term behaviometrics for this class of biometrics.

A Biometric Solution should have the following characteristics:

Universality – each person should have the characteristic.
Uniqueness – is how well the biometric separates individuals from another.
Permanence – measures how well a biometric resists aging and other variance over time.
Collectability – ease of acquisition for measurement.
Performance – accuracy, speed, and robustness of technology used.
Acceptability – degree of approval of a technology.
Circumvention – ease of use of a substitute.
kevin.li

Postby H. Timothy Hsiao » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks Kevin!
I've created a page on our wiki with your content:
http://www.mindsforneeds.org/wiki/index ... ecognition

Hey all (Kevin, Matthew, Matheus), now Kevin has gathered this great list.

(1) Do we agree that biometrics may be the way to go?

(2) If yes, among the various biometrics, which would you choose for us to study further?
H. Timothy Hsiao

Return to Project_1